Medical Oncology Program
Cancer treatment does not always involve surgical procedures and even after surgical procedures a patient has to follow strict medicinal treatment. BLK Cancer Centre has a comprehensive medical oncology treatment for cancer patients. The medical oncology team assesses a patient’s condition and prescribe required chemotherapy, immunotherapy and targeted therapy in conjunction with chemotherapy. The side-effects of the therapy are also managed well under the medical oncology program.
What is chemotherapy?
Chemotherapy is a procedure wherein in drugs/medication is administered in the body through IV to kill the cancer cells or slow their growth. In the process chemotherapy also affects other parts and functioning of the body but all the side-effects are temporary and a person can return to his/her normal life after getting treated.
How does chemotherapy work?
The chemotherapy medicine is injected in the body through IV, once the drug enters the bloodstream through the vein the process of attacking the cancer cells begins. Chemotherapy is most effective in killing rapidly spreading cancer cells and can also be given through tablet or capsule. Chemotherapy can also be done through PICC line which is a thin, soft, long catheter which is inserted into the vein and from where the medicine can be injected the catheter is also called chemo port.
What are the precautions for avoiding infection during treatment?
- Wash your hands with an alcoholic hand rub
- Maintain personal hygiene or get assistance if you are too week
- Keep your mouth and teeth clean after meals you can again ask for assistance
- Use a soft toothbrush to avoid hurting gums as chemotherapy result in week and fragile body
- Avoid using sharp tools which can hurt you like scissors, needle or knife
- Get your bed linen changed on daily basis
- Wear mask when you are outdoor or in a crowded place to avoid infection
- Avoid contact with people who have contagious diseases like cold, conjunctivitis etc.
- Use a disinfectant to keep your surroundings clean
Side-effects of Chemotherapy
Chemotherapy is the most effective drug in controlling and killing cancer cells until now. But, the only drawback it has is the number of side-effects and pain it carries with it. Though, all the side-effects are temporary but sometimes a patient is unable to bear with the pain and stress of chemotherapy. Our counselling time, however, is always there to boost their moral and also counsel a patient’s family to support the patient positively. During the chemotherapy sessions, one may get very weak and fragile. The body responds adversely to chemotherapy and some of the bodily functions also get altered. The first visible sign is loss of hair not from just your head but you may lose all your body hair. Also, you may lose a lot of weight along with dysfunctional digestive system. But all these side-effects remain until your therapy. Once, your chemotherapy is done and cancer is cured you will regain your normal life.