Head and Neck Cancer Program
Types of Head & Neck Cancers Treated at BLK:
- Salivary Gland Cancer: In case of salivary gland cancer, the glands become cancerous. The treat-ment involves surgical removal of glands followed by radiation therapy, chemotherapy and some-times both.
- Oral Cancer: Oral cancer is a common ailment in people who are addicted to chewing tobacco. This type of cancer originated in the lining of lips, cheeks, teeth, gums, front of the tongue, floor/roof of the mouth.
- Nasal Cavity and Paranasal Sinus Cancer: It is a very uncommon and rare cancer which develops in the space behind the nose or the sinus area.
- Laryngeal Cancer: This type of cancer develops in the voicebox or windpipe. The cells in the larynx (a tube-shaped organ in throat and also helps a person in breathing, talking and swallowing) starts to multiply resulting in the development of cancer. It is a complex treatment where a patient has to undergo voice rehabilitation as well.
- Hypopharyngeal Cancer: This type of cancer does not affect the whole throat but develops in the lower part of the larynx.
- Oropharyngeal Cancer: The development of this type cancer is directly related to tobacco or alco-hol addiction. It develops in the base of tongue, back of the roof of mouth, tonsils or side & back of wall of throat.