Breast Cancer Program
Breast Cancer Screeningg
Breast Cancer Screening involves the identification of breast cancer at an early stage. The only way one can detect breast cancer at an early stage is through self-awareness. If you are feeling some changes in your breast or have discovered any lumps then you should consult your doctor who will further advise you for a breast cancer screening. At BLK, we have all the latest facility to conduct a breast cancer screening which is done by performing a mammogram test.
How does a mammogram work?
A mammogram helps in detecting even the smallest of cyst in breasts. It is an advanced x-ray of breasts wherein breasts are exposed to low dose of radiation to get the clear picture. During the procedure, a patient is laid down on a flat bed with her breast placed on flat plates and compressed with another plate. The mammogram is then examined by radiologist for unusual configuration or any tumor.
Are more tests needed after one mammogram?
If your mammogram is normal then you need not to go for any further tests. However, not all cyst or tumor can be cancerous. In case your mammogram shows a cyst then you can got for breast ultrasound or breast MRI in order to learn more about the abnormalities in breast.
Advantages of screening
A lot has been done for making people aware about breast cancer and how people, especially women should take preventive measures, so that it can be detected early. Early diagnosis plays a major role in fighting and defeating any type of cancer. In case of breast cancer it is very easy to detect at an early stage with a screening test. Every woman, after the age of 30 must get herself checked for breast cancer annually.
Disadvantages of screening
Though there are all the pluses when it comes to breast cancer screening. But, sometimes it also detects a cyst which is not cancerous or grows slowly and is not harmful. In any scenario, it is beneficial to learn what’s going inside our body beforehand rather than regretting later in life.
How frequently does need to be screened?
Though, doctors recommend for breast screening after the age of 30 but woman with no family history of cancer can go for their first screening at the age of 40. And, then after every 2 years screening is required. In case you have a benign cyst or a lump which is not harmful then your doctor will advise you to go for screening every year.
Precautions to reduce the risk of breast cancer
- Avoid smoking and limit consumption of alcohol
- Follow a healthy diet/lifestyle and maintain healthy body weight
- Regular exercise
- Get screened regularly
- Learn the correct way of self-examination. Examine yourself regularly
Breast Cancer TriviaDid you know?
Breast cancer is ranked the number once cancer among Indian women. It is the most prevalent of the cancers and women are prone to it. In the year 2012, around 70, 218 women lost their battle to breast cancer according to Journal of Business Research. That’s a huge number and also a disappointment. In India, almost 1 in 22 women are likely to develop breast cancer. And the most favorable candidates are women aged between 43-46, who are at the highest risk.
BLK Super Speciality Hospital and our breast oncology team is manned with experts who works relentlessly in providing multi-team care for each patient.
Super Diagnostic Capabilities
The one thing that makes our Oncology centre unique from others is the cutting-edge technology which is available at our super diagnostic centre. Here, we are capable of diagnosing all types of breast cancers. We have facility for:
- Digital Mammography
- Breast Ultrasound
- 3T Breast MRI
- Image-guided Breast Core Biopsy
- Sophisticated Interventional Radiology Procedures (Wire Localisation)
- Stereotactic Biopsy
- Sentinel Node Evaluation (SLNB) using Gamma Probe
Advanced Treatment Options
Cutting edge technology and world class amenities, is what we offer in combating cancer. At BLK we have facility for:
- Skin-sparing mastectomy which salvages most of the normal skin of the breast with Breast Recon-struction Procedures that go beyond Breast Implants or Conventional Tissue Flaps
- Survivorship Program for both, the patient and family members
- Breast Conservation Surgery and Oncoplasty for Complex Primary Tumours
- Single Dose Intra-operative Radiation Therapy (IORT) and 3D Conformal Partial Breast Irradiation (CPBI) that minimises radiation treatment duration
Brain & Throat Cancer
Along with offering effective treatment in various types of cancer, BLK Super Speciality Hospital also offers a cumulated team of highly-experienced team who is an expert in treating Brain & Throat Cancer. The field includes cancers which might have developed in your mouth, throat, nose, sinuses, salivary glands and lymph nodes. The centre for cancer at BLK offers world class and multidisciplinary treatment and rehabilitation programme in fighting cancer. We have conglomerated the best laboratories and hi-tech surgical instruments including endoscopic procedures, major and minor resections, organ preservation surgeries, as well as complex reconstructions, including free flaps.
- Minimal invasive surgical procedures with hi-tech equipment
- Treatments focusing on preserving function, appearance and achieving a cure
- Advanced radiation therapy and chemo-radiation approaches
- Team of experts comprising neurosurgeons and radiation oncologists who are skilful in performing skull base surgery, either endoscopic or open
- State-of-the-art reconstructive surgery and rehabilitation to reduce morbidity
- Intra-operative irradiation for selected recurrent tumours