BLK Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant (BLKBMT)
At BLK Super Speciality Hospital, the Bone Marrow Transplant Centre is a unique and exclusive centres to offer Bone Marrow Transplant Surgery and is amongst the top lines in Asia region. The BMT Centre at BLK has all the modern facilities to support patients dealing with issues like thalassemia, aplastic anaemia, leu-kaemia, lymphomas, multiple myelomas and advanced paediatric solid tumours. The BLK hospital offers allogeneic as well as autologous transplant using bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cells and cord blood stem cells for various benign and malignant disorders.
Highlights of BLKBMT
- The maximum number of transplants in North India have been performed by this centre
- BLK Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant is one of the largest centres of its kind in India and among the biggest in Asia
- It is the largest BMT Centre fitted with HEPA filters with triple level air filtration to prevent infection
- 24-hour ICU back-up
- Emergency transplant without any delay
- The centre has to its credit Delhi’s First MUD (Match Unrelated Donor) Transplant
- BLKBMT has to its credit more than 800 transplants within a short span
- Equipped with state-of-the-art laboratory services and transfusion services, along with a radiation oncology unit with facility for total body irradiation
- In-house HLA/TBI/Blood Bank/DSA
Transplant Process at BLK:
At BLK, the Bone Marrow Transplant is done after taking proper safety measures. The process is divided into five stages and both the donor and receiver are given required attention before beginning the process. The team of doctors at BLK Bone Marrow Transplant centre focuses on pre-transplant procedure in order to avoid any complication during the transplant. The first step is to do the medical evaluation of both, the receiver and the donor to ascertain the matching of the bone marrow. The doctors also take consent from both. The next step is to go ahead with the conditioning therapy which is administered in outpatient setting and where chemotherapy and radiation are given. The receiver, after the conditioning, is given the infusion of bone marrow. It is done under strict monitoring by the team of doctors. The boiling period is between 10-28 days. The recovery time is a long time, as adjusting to transplant and avoiding any complication is crucial in case of bone marrow transplant.