Dr B.L Kapuris an eminent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist and also a philanthropist, who selflessly dedicated his life in providing easy access to health services to the needy. In 1930, in the modest surroundings of Lahore, he laid the foundation of a charitable hospital. Even after 1947, his journey continued across the border, when he moved to India and set up a Maternity Hospital at Ludhiana. Dr B. L. Kapur was then invited by then Prime Minister Pt. Jawaharlal Nehru to start a project for setting up a 200-bed hospital in Delhi. The hospital was inaugurated by the Prime Minister on 2nd January 1959.
For its excellent service and accessibility, the hospital soon became popular. By 1984, when the hospital celebrated its Silver Jubilee, it was already an expanding hospital well on its way to becoming Delhi’s premier multi-speciality institute. Services offered included General Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry, Pulmonology, Intensive Care and Orthopaedics, apart from mother & child care.
The hospital continued to follow the vision of Dr B. L. Kapur, who is a philanthropist, always insisted on the importance of the health of the community and the hospital continued to follow his vision. Regular camps and public health talks were held to improve the status of community health in the area by fervent doctors.
It was in the late 1990s, that the Trustees of the hospital tied up with Radiant Life Care Private Li-mited to re-develop and manage the facilities. It is thus, that a modern state-of-the-art tertiary care hospital has come up in place of the older one. Undoubtedly it is one of the biggest standalone private Hospitals in the National Capital Region today.